Watsonville, Calif., July 23, 2019 – For the fourth year in a row, West Marine, a leading boating, fishing and sailing retailer, has announced the names of nonprofit organizations across the country that will each receive $1,500 in grant awards.
West Marine selected 27 nonprofits during the most recent grant cycle. All winners are community-based organizations dedicated to getting young people out on and around the water in recreational and educational capacities.
“The West Marine team is excited to reward these winning organizations and their commitment to getting more kids out on the water through boating, fishing and marine science,” said Aaron Carpenter, Chief Marketing Officer. “We are proud to be able to contribute annually to the enormous efforts of these nonprofits and their dedication to their communities.”
The 2019 BlueFuture spring grant recipients include:
- ANGARI Foundation, West Palm Beach, Florida
- ClearShark H2O, Hanover, Maryland
- Delta Sculling Center, Stockton, California
- Downtown Sailing Center, Baltimore, Maryland
- EYC Foundation, Annapolis, Maryland
- Freedom Waters Foundation, Naples, Florida
- Green Bay Sail & Paddle, Green Bay, Wisconsin
- History of Diving Museum, Islamorada, Florida
- Lake Minnetonka Sailing School, Excelsior, Minnesota
- Malama na Honu, Hauula, Hawaii
- Marine Life Studies, Moss Landing, California
- Mystic Seaport Museum (Sailing Center), Mystic, Connecticut
- New England Science & Sailing Foundation, Inc., Stonington, Connecticut
- Ocean Protection Advocacy Kids, Inc. (OPAK), Pembroke, Massachusetts
- O’Neill Sea Odyssey, Santa Cruz, California
- Orange County Coastkeeper, Costa Mesa, California
- Reef Check Foundation, Marina del Rey, California
- Reef Relief, Key West, Florida
- Sail Cape Cod, Hyannis, Massachusetts
- Sail Newport, Newport, Rhode Island
- Sail to Prevail, Newport, Rhode Island
- Sarasota Youth Sailing, Sarasota, Florida
- Shark River Sailing and Science Academy, Belmar, New Jersey
- Spirit of America Foundation, Mentor, Ohio
- Tampa Bay Watch, Tierra Verde, Florida
- Venice Youth Boating Association, Inc., Venice, Florida
- Youth Sailing Virginia, Inc., Hampton, Virginia
“West Marine is dedicated to our mission of outfitting, educating and inspiring boaters. In this case, young boaters,” said Laura Barry, director of marketing communications. “We’re deeply grateful for the work of all of the organizations that applied for a grant and encourage all applicants to reapply in the next cycle.”
BlueFuture is a donor-advised fund through the Community Foundation of Santa Cruz, California. All donations are fully tax-deductible, and each year West Marine awards grants to worthy nonprofit organizations across North America. These much-needed funds allow community-based groups to provide scholarships, purchase new equipment, maintain staff, add programs and more. The West Marine grants are unrestricted, allowing grant recipients to determine how and when they use the funds.
Annually, West Marine distributes tens of thousands of dollars through BlueFuture grants. The fund is supported by a Safe Boating fundraising effort in May and the Month of Giving campaign in December. Year-round donations are encouraged through www.westmarine.com/BlueFuture.
West Marine is committed to improving and giving back to the community. In addition to BlueFuture, West Marine also supports community organizations through its Affiliate Program. When supporters of registered affiliates shop at West Marine, the organization receives a percentage back, earning dollars to sustain its programs, to purchase supplies, and more.
To learn more about West Marine’s BlueFuture initiative and how you can help, visit www.westmarine.com/BlueFuture.