Your boat was a big investment but when you look at it, you notice that it isn’t in the best shape of its life. It is not completely broken down, but you can definitely tell it has seen its many days of fun out on the water.
What do you do in this situation?
Is the boat worth fixing up or is it time to invest in a new one?
The decision on whether you should ditch your boat and purchase a new one is a personal one and will all depend on what your financial situation looks like.
If you are uncertain about whether you should repair or replace your boat, you will find some helpful tell-tale signs that you are leaning towards needing a new boat soon, if not now.
All in all, remember that safety is more important, so even if you cannot afford to replace your boat right now, you do not want to compromise your safety or the safety of your loved ones on a boat that should not be out on the water.
Signs That You Definitely Need a New Boat
If you have noticed any of the following signs, it is time for you to consider purchasing a new boat.
1. Repairs cannot be made to the boat. Sometimes, repairs that need to be made to your current boat are just too prohibitive and not worth the time and investment. If you find that your boat needs repairs that are too expensive or the repairs are just impossible to do, then it is time for you to get a new boat.
2. Going out on the water makes you nervous. If you find yourself on edge and worried about whether you will make it back to shore once out on the water, it is time for a new boat. Your safety and the safety of your family should never be compromised and what fun is a boating trip if you have to be scared the whole time?
3. Issues continue to pop up. When you find yourself needing to repair your boat or perform maintenance on it more often than not, you have a problem, and it is time for a new boat. Of course, all boats require maintenance but if you seem to be spending more time repairing the boat than enjoying it, a new boat is in your future.
4. Your engine requires your attention more than it should. If you keep having to remove your engine cover and inspect the different mechanical pieces and make tweaks to it often, then it is time for a new boat. If your engine requires a lot of your attention, it is time to consider an upgrade.
Other Signs You Need a New Boat
While the above four signs are the most significant signs that a new boat is needed, here are some other signs that you may want to consider a new boat.
- Your boat no longer makes you happy or meets your needs.
- You and your family have outgrown your boat and no longer enjoy going on it.
- No one feels safe on your boat and your friends are not interested in boating with you
- Your boat does not get a lot of use anymore because you don’t want to deal with it
- You have been thinking about a new boat
- Boating has become a chore and is no longer fun for you
Tips for Buying Your New Boat
If you have decided that you do need a new boat and you are ready to purchase one, keep these things in mind.
First, new does not mean that your boat has to be new. New can mean new to you. You can purchase a used boat in good condition, and it is still much newer than the boat you currently have. Purchasing new or new to you will depend on your financial situation and what you feel most comfortable with.
Second, make sure you sell your old boat. Just because your boat is old and worn out does not mean that someone does not want it or that it is not worth anything. You can sell your old boat and use that money towards a new boat to keep the costs down.
Lastly, don’t feel like you have to rush. A boat is a big investment, and you want to take your time and choose something that meets your needs. Always spend time reviewing your options before you make a final decision.