Dogs are many people’s constant companions, on land and on the water. While it seems most dog breeds take to water like fish, several breeds stand out as particularly adapted for a wet existence. Vetstreet.com compiled a list of the nine best dog breeds for living on the water.
1. American Water Spaniels were bred to hunt from a boat. If you’re a hunter, they can be trained to dive in and retrieve ducks or geese.
2. The Boykin Spaniel is the southern cousin of the American Water Spaniel. They were also bred to hunt from small boats with little room for big dogs.
3. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are tough and hearty dogs, bred as hunting dogs in the brutally cold waters of Chesapeake Bay. They are protective of their home, and their coat is water-resistant.
4. The Irish Water Spaniel loves to swim. Their topcoats are thick, loose curls, which are water-repellent, with a soft insulating undercoat. These dogs are known for their distinct bare rattails.
5. Labrador Retrievers
7. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers
9. Portuguese Water Dogs