Fishing is a popular water activity that can be enjoyed whether you are a beginner or a seasoned angler. One way to make your fishing experience even more exciting is by creating your own fishing lures. Wooden lures are a classic type of fishing lure that you can easily make from home. In this article, we will guide you on that will catch the attention of the fish.
To make wooden fishing lures, you will need a few materials such as:
- Wood: You can use different types of wood such as pine, cedar, or balsa. However, cedar is the best option for making fishing lures as it is easy to carve and durable enough to withstand the water environment.
- Saw or knife: A saw or knife will be used to cut the wood into the desired shape.
- Sandpaper: Sandpaper is used to smooth the edges of the lure before and after painting.
- Paint: You can use any type of paint to paint the lures. Ensure to use a waterproof paint as the lures will be submerged in the water.
- Eyes: You can use button or glass eyes to add a realistic touch to your lures.
1. Choose the Shape of the Lure
Firstly, decide on the shape of the lure you want to create. You can get inspiration from other wooden lures or create a design of your own. Use a saw or knife to cut the wood into the desired shape.
2. Sand the Lure
Use sandpaper to smooth the edges of the lure. Ensure that the surface is free from splinters or rough edges. You can also sand the surface to create a smooth finish.
3. Add the Eyes
Use glue to attach the eyes to the front of the lure. You can choose to use different colored eyes to give your lure a unique look.
4. Paint the Lure
Once the eyes are attached, you can now paint the lure. Use a waterproof paint that will withstand the water environment. You can also use different colors to create patterns on the lure.
5. Let the Lure Dry
Allow the lure to dry completely before using it. You can also add a waterproof coating to protect the lure from water damage.
Creating wooden fishing lures is a fun and rewarding activity that you can enjoy with family and friends. With the right materials and techniques, you can make unique and effective lures that will attract the fish. We hope that our step-by-step guide has provided you with the necessary information needed to make your own wooden fishing lures. Happy fishing!