Whether you are an experienced angler or just starting out with fishing, you may have heard the term “throwline” being mentioned. A throwline is a crucial piece of equipment for any angler who is planning to go out on a boat for a fishing trip. In this article, we’ll be discussing what a throwline is, its purpose, and how to use it effectively.
What is a Throwline?
Simply put, a throwline is a rope with a weighted end that is used by anglers to rescue someone who has fallen overboard or to retrieve an item that has fallen into the water. It is typically made of polypropylene, which is lightweight and buoyant, and can be thrown over long distances with ease.
The Purpose of a Throwline
The primary purpose of a throwline is to rescue someone who has fallen overboard. Even the most experienced boaters can experience unexpected accidents, and being prepared with a throwline can make all the difference in a rescue situation. A throwline can also be used to retrieve an item that has fallen into the water, such as a fishing rod or a cooler.
How to Use a Throwline
Using a throwline is a straightforward process; however, it requires some knowledge and practice to use it correctly. Here are some steps to follow when using a throwline:
1. Keep the throwline in a bag or container and close at hand.
2. Assess the situation and ensure that it is safe to throw the line.
3. Grab the rope by the weighted end and coil the remainder of the line in your non-throwing hand.
4. Take a few steps back from the edge of the boat and make sure you have a clear throwing path.
5. Use an overhand throwing motion to launch the throwline towards the person or object that needs to be rescued.
6. While pulling the throwline back in, try to guide the victim close to the boat.
7. Once the victim is in reach, secure them to the boat as quickly and safely as possible.
A throwline is an essential piece of equipment for any angler going out on a boat. It is a simple tool that can make a significant difference in a rescue situation. If you are planning a fishing trip, make sure to have a throwline with you and practice using it, just in case an accident occurs. Stay safe and happy fishing!