What is the line created between two different colors on a ship’s hull called?

When you look at a ship’s hull, you may notice a line that separates two different colors. This line is not purely for cosmetic purposes. It actually has a specific name and function in the boating world.

The line is called the waterline or the Plimsoll line. It is a horizontal marking that indicates the level to which a ship can safely be loaded without sinking or capsizing. The Plimsoll line was named after Samuel Plimsoll, a British member of parliament who advocated for ship safety in the 19th century.

The Plimsoll line is marked on both sides of the ship’s hull, usually in black paint. The line is positioned according to the ship’s design and load capacity. If the ship is loaded beyond the marked line, it can be in danger of sinking or capsizing.

The waterline marking also helps in measuring a ship’s displacement, which is the weight of water that is displaced when the ship is loaded. This measurement is important for calculating a ship’s stability and ensuring it stays afloat.

In addition to the Plimsoll line, ships often have other markings on their hulls. A boot top is a narrow band of color that is usually painted above the waterline to protect the hull from fouling and corrosion. A sheer line is a design element that follows the curve of the hull and separates the upper and lower parts of the ship’s side.

The Plimsoll line is an important part of boating safety and has helped prevent many accidents at sea. Next time you see a ship’s hull, take a look for the line that separates the different colors. You now know it has a much more important function than just being a design element.

Have something to add or correct? Please let us know by clicking here.
* See disclaimer in the footer of the site for use of this content.

Related Questions


Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Our Newsletter

Get the latest boating tips, fishing resources and featured products in your email from BoatingWorld.com!