What is the term for a ship’s anchor hole?

The anchor hole on a ship is known by a number of different names, depending on the type of vessel and the particular part of the world in which it is being used. The term itself can take on various different forms, depending on the specific context and the nature of the ship.

In many cases, the term “hawsehole” is used to refer to the anchor hole. The hawsehole is the place where the anchor chain passes through the ship’s hull as it is being used to secure the vessel in place. This term is used in both large and small ships, and is commonly referred to as the “mouth” of the ship. It is typically located on either side of the bow, and can be easily identified by the presence of a metal ring or other type of fastening mechanism.

Another term that is often used to describe the anchor hole is the “cleat.” The cleat is a large piece of metal that is used to secure the anchor chain in place, preventing it from slipping or shifting as the ship is being anchored. This term is most commonly found in smaller boats and yachts, where space is limited and the need for a secure anchor system is especially important.

Regardless of the terminology used to describe it, the anchor hole is an essential component of any seafaring vessel. Whether you are piloting a large ship or a small boat, having a reliable and secure anchoring system in place is absolutely essential for safe and successful boating. So if you are planning on taking your boat out to sea, make sure you have an anchor hole that is up to the task.

Have something to add or correct? Please let us know by clicking here.
* See disclaimer in the footer of the site for use of this content.

Related Questions


Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Our Newsletter

Get the latest boating tips, fishing resources and featured products in your email from BoatingWorld.com!